First Day

We made it. Both of us.
Picked up little man from his first day of pre-K yesterday afternoon - when I got there, I had a second or two of Mommy-peeping-tom-time to watch him in action. There he stood, with kids on both sides of him, bent over the munchkin-sized table putting a puzzle together. My little guy.

Well, my stalking time was over pretty quickly because I was caught by one of his classmates who yelled,
"Beee-innn! Your Maaa-uuuumm isth hee-rrr!" (extra syllables courtesy of a good, southern upbringing, thankyouverymuch)

He looked up and I could see that he didn't see me at first, but once he did, he dropped his puzzle pieces and ran across the room yelling, "Mommmy!!!!" Awwww. Does a mommy's heart good.

So, on the drive home, I asked him how he liked his first day of school. Did he have fun? Did he behave? Did he like his new teacher and new room and new classmates? Yes to all. And that's it. That's all I got.
Got the daily report from his homework folder (pre-K homework?!?) with information on what his class is working on and what their objectives were, etc. Shows he participated in everything, but that's about it. Nothing really personalized except the little blurb on the bottom of the page saying, "Ben had a good day, enjoyed story time and working in centers today".

Well, for the muchly-anticipated and muchly-dreaded, first day of pre-K; I guess everything went pretty ok. No one (read: me) ran screaming down the hall of the preschool, at least. Having a very busy day at the hospital yesterday, I didn't have much of a chance to think about what this new chapter in Ben's life meant for me (cuz it's all about me, y'know....) So, we survived. He's growing up. And there's not a thing I can do about it....and honestly, I wouldn't if I could.

My little man is doing great, thanks for asking. He's unbelieveably smart, wickedly funny, super-super sweet, compassionate/caring, ridiculously energetic, completely loving and full of joy. He's gonna be fine.

Thank you, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are appreciated! (and I'm gettin' lonely here)