Little boy, growing up

Four years ago, the sweetest hubby and me welcomed into our hearts and home a certain little blue-eyed baby boy - soon to become known as the sweetest boy in Georgia. For anyone and everyone close to us, and who've been touched by this super-duper-little perpetual-motion-machine; thank you for loving him as much as we do.
Next week - on August 11, to be exact; this same little guy will start Pre-K. Now, he's been in preschool and has completely mastered that....but this, well, this is a big step. For both of us. For all of us. (ok, probably bigger for me, the mommy, than him, the little man.....let's get real, here)
Before Ben was born/adopted, I was a full-time nurse. Monday-Friday, with some weekend call work. Not too bad. Kinda used to it. Enter the miraculous birth of the sweetest boy in Ga. I was able to take an almost 3 month "maternity leave". When that time was over, I thought I'd be able to drop this little bundle off at our church daycare and start right back to work, same as before. Nope. Not a chance.
Somehow, in such a short time, this little parasite had moved into my heart and taken over. The sweetest hubby, who is also the smartest hubby in the world and who understands me better'n anybody; knew that it was very important for me to be at home with my baby boy. So, my 'back to work full-time' lasted maybe a week. With my hubby's blessings, I was able to take a prn position in my department working only two days a week; no weekends and no holidays. (how great is that?) The rest of the week, I got to spend with my baby boy. What an unbelievable gift. Something I'll always treasure and something I'll never regret.
Amazing, though, how time flies.
Fast-forward to next week. Pre-K. Now, in just a few days, my little man will be heading off for 'school' -- 5 days a week. I'm still working part-time; when we moved to the Big City, I got a part-time job so I could still stay home with Ben a couple of days a week - and, again, sweetest hubby agreed and understood. (see a theme here? ain't he sumpthin?)
I new this day would come, I just didn't know it would be so soon.... we went shopping for school supplies this past weekend, and went out last night for new underwear and socks. Gotta have new underwear for big boy school. Power Rangers and Incredible Hulk. Spiderman has been put on the shelf for a little while. (don't worry, Spidey, you were the first- and the best - superhero, for my little superhero...)
So, it's off to school next week. For the first time, ever, my little boy will be without me for longer than he's with me. I can't decide if I want to just lock him up in the closet and keep him for myself....or let him go. I can't keep him from the bad things in the world, but I want to. I know, sheesh, it's just preschool. But things are tough out there for a kid!
I want to protect him from ever being hurt; physically or emotionally. I know kids can be so mean; even the ones that are supposed to be your friends. I want him to feel loved by his 'teachers', not to be treated as just another kid; I want him to keep his sweet, sweet spirit. I want him to keep his innocence and imagination. I want him to excel in everything he does - but not so much that he's not able to still have fun and have friends. I want him to learn and soak up everything around him.
Oh, there's a million and one things that I want for this little man. I want him to be happy. and secure. and safe. and feel loved. and wanted. and confident. and strong. and compassionate. and joyful. and forgiven. and saved. and loved. Loved.
Feeling a bit sad, but down deep inside, happy too.....because my little blue-eyed baby boy is growing up. Thanks for listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are appreciated! (and I'm gettin' lonely here)