Please don't go

He's going to move out. Yep. That's what he said.

I don't remember now what brought it on, but he made the announcement on Friday night. We were all in the living room, enjoying a quiet night at home when someone's feelings were hurt or something. It's all a blur, really. I've always heard that the mind can kind of protect you by shutting out memories that cause incredible pain. Maybe this is an example of that, I don't know.

I remember it being very cold. And raining. In fact, it rained all day last Friday. The wind was blowing so hard outside that the neighbors' Halloween pumpkin blew across their yard, into the street and landed in the storm water drain over on our side of the road. Kind of an eerie sight in the dark, cold rain. Pumpkin lying on its side, facing the cars as they passed; strange, smiling face with dark, dark eyes. But, I digress.

I'm sitting in my chair, trying to keep warm. Hubby is beside me. Words were said. Someone voices their displeasure at said words. Tears shed.
Then:

"I'm leaving. I'm going to leave this house!"

"Where are you going to go?"

"I don't know, I'm just leaving. I'm taking my stuff and going".

Tears flowing openly now.

"You can't leave; it's raining and very cold outside."

"Yes I can, I'll get my warm clothes and pillow and blankets and stuff and I'm going somewhere else!"

Ok, so the 'warm clothes' comment almost did me in.

"Well, we'll see you later. Come give me a kiss and a hug".

"NO! I'm going and you can't have a kiss."

"Ok, but you can't take your toys. The toys stay here."

Much wailing and gnashing of teeth. And falling down on the floor and whining.

"Yes I can! I wanna take my toys! My toys! I want my toys too!!!"

"Nope, but if you stay you can have your toys"

Sniff. Sniff. Tears dry up a little. Watery blue eyes with eyelashes all stuck together, runny nose, quivering chin....... he's thinking about it. Weighing his options......

Toys win.

He stays.

Mommy and Daddy are so glad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are appreciated! (and I'm gettin' lonely here)