This one, I can't explain......

Some conversations are deeper than others, some not so memorable and some may be completely silly. You really never know what you're going to get when you talk to a 5 year old boy. Yesterday afternoon, the conversation the sweetest hubby and son had made my jaw drop to the floor. A little background first.



I'd left early for children's choir, leaving the two of them here to come over later. Before I left, I helped Ben get his clothes back on for church as he was in his usual state of dress: underwear and a smile. As I was heading to his room, I heard the sweet sound of a toy that, now that I think about it, I have no idea how to describe. It's one of those little plush, pull-type toys - this one happens to be a yellow kitty - with a hanger for the doorknob that plays a little lullaby when you pull it's tail... am I making any sense? Why can't I figure out what to call the blasted thing?? Anyway....we've had that little toy since Ben was a baby and I haven't seen it in probably a year or more - since we moved, I guess. So, when I walked into his room and heard the tinkling sound of a lullaby, I wondered what was up. Ben was standing in his room, hugging and cuddling the kitty, saying he wanted to take it to church with him. I told him no, he couldn't take it to church, but he could take it in the car with him if he wanted to. That seemed to appease him, so I helped him get dressed and went with him down the stairs, where I said my byes and left.

The rest of the story is recounted from what Greg told me. Ben was still hugging and cuddling the kitty as he sat on the couch to watch tv. At some point, he wound up sitting next to his daddy. Greg hugged him and asked him the age old question, "do you know how much I love you?" To which Ben answered, "more than God". His daddy explained to him that "No, God loves you even more than I or Mommy does".

Well, then Ben started telling his daddy a story. He said that when he was a baby, in heaven, that he was in a room with a bunch of other babies, and that God was there. He said that all the babies were soon gone - leaving him alone with God. He said that God stayed with him, played with him, and talked to him. But, then on a Thursday - God told him that in 3 days he'd come home to us.

Later, after we'd returned home from church, we three were standing in the kitchen. Greg asked Ben to tell me what they'd talked about earlier. Ben then proceeded to tell everything he'd told his daddy. I asked him what does God look like? He told me, " he has a beard, and white hair. And he wears a blue dress. And he's barefooted".

The description of God - I don't know if it's correct or not - have to wait and see.

The day of the week was wrong. But sometimes even now, he gets his days mixed up - so how much more so might he have gotten it wrong when he was still just a wish and a prayer in our hearts - but so well known by God!

The 3 days? Exactly spot on.

3 days was when he came into our home, our family, our hearts. 3 days old.

Thank you God for watching over him until you sent him home to be with us. And thank you God for watching over him now.

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful story. I told you he was special. Even tho other people said that you would never understand a word he said, I knew you would!! (lol)
    I'm so proud of you and love you all sooo much. Aunt Lene

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww... thanks for the tears of joy... ben is such a blessing from God, and I'm so thankful we (church and family) have been a part of his growing up.

    Love,
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. As soon as I opened this link, I knew I was going to cry. That is the most awesome story ever. You are all blessed! Miss u!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I told you many many moons ago, that the right "guy" for you would show up when you least expected him. I think I meant "guy" guy,but? I was RIGHT! You weren't expecting him to show up unannounced!! He stole EVERYBODY'S heart!I knew we should hang on to him once he discovered, as did the rest of the kids, I have ether on my shoulder..lol. I just thought of this, he came to you swaddled in a blanket, straight from heaven!It kinda sounds like another story I know of. He is our "May" miracle! I'm glad you don't live in a barn though.
    Love you all,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, y'all for the sweet commments. We ARE so blessed to have Ben - but also blessed to have friends and family like y'all.
    Thanks for stopping by - and commenting! I love seeing your messages! Have a fantabulous day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, so I'm sitting here sobbing! That is the sweetest story! God is so good. Did you ever think that you could love someone so much before Ben? Me either! I love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated! (and I'm gettin' lonely here)